Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Actor Beware: Legimate Agents & Managers Don't Scout For Talent on Craig's List! Read Anne's Story ...

Yesterday I received an e-mail from Anne, a young actress in North Hollywood, California. Both her predicament and her question concerned me enough that I wanted to share her situation and my response with you. There is an important lesson in this for all actors.

Anne wrote:

"I recently interviewed with an agent at a modeling and print agency. The agent, Mark, (I don't know his last name) was really quick with me and gave me lots of positive feedback. He called me the next day and told me that is interested in representing me. In order for him to do so, he said that I would now have to get full body fashion shots for $750 from a photographer he will send me to. He also told me that I will have to pay the photographer in cash. I haven't signed anything yet, but I just have a sort of anxious, nervous feeling about what I may be getting myself into. Any suggestions of signs to look out for or steps I should take so I don't end up in a scam?"

I responded:

"This is a big red flag to me, Anne with SCAM written all over it. The signs are all there. Did this agent require you to go to this photographer or did he merely include this person's name on a list of other photographers he likes who you could choose from?

The price is too high. And in cash? Why? I don't like the sound of it at all.

Check this agent and this company out. Call AFTRA and SAG and see if they have any complaints registered against this person/company. Do the same with the Better Business Bureau. Also, check out the public comment board at backstage.com where actors post notes about agents.

Lastly, you don't know this guy's last name? How did you get into the office? He should have given you all the time you needed to ask questions, especially in a first meeting.

Put the brakes on this, Anne, until you do your homework — and keep me posted."



The next day, Anne wrote me back:

"The agent, Mark, suggested this photographer by giving me his card at the meeting. I never got Mark's business card because the meeting was such a whirlwind. They had a posting on CraigsList.com saying they were a licensed agency looking for new, fresh faces. I submitted my picture expecting nothing. They called me and told me about the company, saying they used to do runway in New York, but relocated to L.A. and now do print, modeling and commercials. So, I went in for just the interview and he said he loved my look and that I'd be great for the fall/Christmas season. That's when he told me to get some full body shots done and gave me the photographer's card. Then he said he'd call me to let me know if the agency was interested in me, which he did the next day saying, 'Anne! Babe! Welcome to the agency!' He's called me every day since to check on my progress with getting my shots done. I asked for his e-mail address and he wouldn't give it to me, saying 'No, Anne, e-mail is so impersonal; it's all about the phone, babe.' The more I write about this, the sketchiness is so clear.

I took your advice and called AFTRA and they aren't affiliated with them. I also checked the Backstage postings and a few people have posted that they share the same unsure feelings I'm having.

I'm going to call the agency and just ask them more questions about who they've represented and who they have marketed to."



My last response to Anne was this:

"Babe? He called you 'Babe?' Case closed, as far as I'm concerned.

It’s your call, Anne, but, I say, if this guy wants you legitimately (which I doubt), then you will have no trouble finding (another) “legit” agent who will also want you, too. Do not rush this process! This is not about the “fall/Christmas season,” this is about the entirety of your career! Let's be honest here. How many warnings do you need? Trust your gut reaction. Be a smart, not desperate, actor.

Walk away, Anne. Don't bother calling this guy again. Instead, focus your time and your energy seeking representation from an agent (or manager) who wants to work with you in developing your career and who doesn't see you as another ticket to his or her commission on a $750 photo session scam. This guy isn't interested in you or your career."



My final thoughts to all of you: Never seek representation from an ad in Craig's List or any other such source. Legitimate agents and managers, when they are seeking new clients, do it the right way. We attend showcases, we ask for referrals from colleagues, we visit professional classes, we review submissions from actors. There's a right way to do this and there is a "never" way to do this.

If you want to use Craig's List to find a place to live or to buy a bedroom set, fine, but to seek an agent or manager -- or to seek a legitmiate acting job, never, please.

Rant done.

If you have a business of acting question or story to relate, post your comment here or e-mail me at blemack@TheBusinessOfActing.com.

BL

No comments: