Saturday, October 27, 2018

Reflections on a book tour …

I met the most remarkable young man at my recent book event in Chicago, at the wonderful Volumes Bookcafe. 
Ryan had no idea where he was headed when his Dad suggested they go for a drive. Heading out of their suburban Chicago neighborhood, it wasn’t too long before Ryan and his father arrived at Volumes. His Dad happened to catch my appearance that morning on the WGN-TV “Morning News” program and heard me talk about the upcoming book event that night. 
Ryan has always been interested in … make that passionate about ... performing. He has appeared in every school production there has been so far … and, even though he is just 12, he is very clear about the career he wants to have when he grows up.
He didn’t know it when he drove off from home with his Dad that that particular Tuesday night, but his father hoped that an opportunity for us to meet, to connect and to talk about how Ryan can actually, really, pursue this might be a great opportunity for his son.
I can’t fully express the joy I felt (and feel) from seeing this father so supportive of his young son’s interest in a professional career that neither know anything about. We sat, we talked, we began to sketch out the early steps for Ryan to think about.
Both Ryan and his Dad asked lots of smart questions that turned into a really inspiring conversation, as much for me as I hope it was for them.
Ryan grinned from ear-to-ear. Maybe it was the joy of feeling heard. Maybe it was the joy of feeling validated. Maybe it is in the joy of having a Dad who is beyond invested in his son’s future and who was willing to take a ride into the city on a random Tuesday night to explore the possibilities.
With so much happening in the world that we can easily become discouraged about, my time with Ryan and his Dad gave me hope that, at the end of at least one particular day, one particular father and his son were on the right track ... and that makes me very happy.
BL

No comments: